Friday, May 31, 2013

The Process




One of the things I love about doing tutorials is that it forces me to slow down and record my process. 
Having a regular spot forces me to constantly come up with new ideas, and to make art all month long. 

It's the kind of motivation that I need. Otherwise I'm perfectly content to sit in a patch of sunshine with a good book for days on end. 

I try really hard to make tutorials that are seasonally timed, and that come out of my own head. If I see an idea that I like somewhere else, I try to take it one step further or to use it as a jumping off point for my own interpretation. 

Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of projects designed by other people that I have done for myself or family members. But when I do a tutorial, I make sure that the idea or the process is uniquely mine. Lately I have seen a lot of people that I care about have their ideas (and sometimes even their own photos) passed off as someone else's work. That's the double-edged sword of sharing, I suppose. I share my ideas because I believe that art has a place in everyone's life. And I think that everyone should have the opportunity to learn how to create something beautiful.

I hope your weekend is full of things you love.

No comments: