Tuesday, October 09, 2012

Upcycled Luminaries Tutorial



I don't know about you, but I love candles. I also love not burning down the house while I'm enjoying the warm glow of firelight. Over the years I have amassed quite the collection of glass votive-candle holders, but I wouldn't want to put them outside on a very cold night. I am planning on making a whole lot of these luminary cans and placing them along my sidewalk on the colder holidays.

Since they're made from cans (the small one was pumpkin, the big one was tomatoes) when I get tired of them I can put them in the recycle bin and make new ones! 

Are you ready to get crafty? Once your can is prepped, this takes no time at all. I made both of these in twenty minutes.


Supplies:
Cans from canned goods
A large nail (mine was 2 1/2 inches)
A hammer
A pattern (got mine for free from Martha Stewart. Her website has all kinds of free templates)
Tape to hold the pattern on.

Step one: fill your can with water, leaving a 1/2 inch unfilled at the top. Stick that in the freezer, preferably overnight. I've been freezing the cans as I use them.

Step two: tape your template to your can.

Check out my homemade potholders...pretty sweet, right?


Step three: use your hammer to drive the nail into each one of the dots on your pattern. It shouldn't take a whole lot of effort. Work quickly, as the ice melts the paper gets wet and tends to slide which can lead to some funky-looking patterns.


Step four: Put some candles inside, light them up and watch the show.

Pretty easy, right? The variations on this one are endless.


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Somebody necessarily lend a hand to make severely posts I would state. That is the first time I frequented your web page and to this point? I amazed with the analysis you made to make this actual publish extraordinary. Excellent task!

Unknown said...

Thanks, Anonymous.
English as a second language, or internet-trolling robot?
It's hard to tell.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing. Not to many people in your position are so gracious. Your article was very poignant and understandable. It helped me to understand very clearly. Thank you for your help.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for such a fantastic web site. On what other blog could anyone get this kind of information written in such an insightful way? I have a presentation that I am just now working on, and I have been looking for such info.

Anonymous said...

LOL! I like internet-trolling robot! LOL!

Kara, so glad to see how these finally turned out! I love them! I think I shall add this one to my crafts I'd like to do list! Thanks for the rockin' tutorial as well!