I have polled my children, ages 5 and 8, on their top five Good Deeds. These are things that they have done, will do, and find enjoyable.
1. Making food for the neighbors. (Usually muffins, granola, or cookies)
2. Mailing letters to Grandparents (or other family members)
3. Putting away neighbor's garbage cans on collection day.
4. Helping to rake leaves or shovel snow.
5. Give people hugs.
In addition to these, I would like to add:
6. Bringing treats to the office staff at your children's school
7. Mailing thank you cards to the dentist/ pediatrician, teachers, fire fighters, or police officers.
8. Picking out food to donate to a food drive. (Give them a set amount to spend, between $5-$10)
9. Picking out blankets & towels at the dollar store to donate to a local animal shelter.
10. Call or visit an elderly relative. Have the kids interview them. Ask questions like: what was your favorite thing to do when you were my age? What was your favorite food? Who was your favorite movie star/baseball player/musician?
(For extra fun, hand the kids a toy microphone)
There are a few of our ideas. What's your favorite good deed?