Thursday, August 09, 2012

Quinoa and potato curry

I don't often provide recipes, because I rarely make anything that hasn't been done before. But yesterday I wanted quinoa (keen-wah) and I wanted curry and I figured somebody out there had to have a recipe. The Vegetarian Times did, but I was missing 6 ingredients. So I adapted it for what I had, and made half as much because I'm the only quinoa* eater in the house--sad but true.

Quinoa and Potato Curry (Adapted from The Vegetarian Times)
Makes about 4 cups

1/2 cup quinoa, rinsed
1/2 cup frozen peas
4 cups water
2 T olive oil
1/4 tsp mustard seeds
1/4 tsp cumin seeds
2 tsp curry powder
3/4 cup veg broth (or water)
6 new potatoes (I used purple potatoes)
2 Tbsp Greek yogurt

1.Put quinoa & 1/2 tsp salt in medium saucepan with 4 cups water. Bring to a boil and set timer for 11 minutes. While quinoa cooks, clean potatoes & microwave for 3 minutes. When potatoes are cool enough to handle, cut them into quarters.
Place peas in colander & drain cooked quinoa over peas.

2. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. When oil begins to ripple, add cumin and mustard seeds. When seeds begin to pop, add curry powder and stir for 30 seconds. Stir in broth and bring to a boil.
Add quartered potatoes and stir occasionally until potatoes are cooked through, about 4-6 minutes.

3.Stir 1 Tbsp of broth into yogurt in a small bowl. Stir all the yogurt back into the broth & potatoes. Fold in peas & quinoa.

Serve warm with more yogurt or mango chutney. Add naan and a green salad and you have a meal!

SO GOOD.

* Quinoa: Incan super food! The Mother Grain! 20% DV of Iron! 2% DV of Calcium!

No comments: